August 2, 2011
When throwing a shower for one of my girlfriends awhile back, I came across a little recipe for “cake pops” and have been OBSESSED ever since!
Being the regular Betty Crocker (for those of you that know me, please hold in your laughter) that I am, I decided this would be an excellent choice for a festive dessert! And if I’ve gotta be completely honest… it TOTALLY was! (Subsequently pats self on back) I made three kinds: Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry.
Now, while these three flavors may seem like nothing all too impressive, it’s what you can do with them that makes them so incredible! After baking the three cake mixes in the oven (according to the box instructions), I simpled let the pans cool for about 15 minutes before crumbling each flavor into a mixing bowl and stiring in the same flavor frosting. (White w/ Vanilla, Chocolate w/ Chocolate and Strawberry w/ Strawberry.) After which, I balled the sugary goodness into small circles and covered them with candy melt toppings.
It took a little practice, but once I got the hang of it, it was super easy… and even more delicious! I topped the White Cake Balls with vanilla icing and yellow sprinkles; the Chocolate Cake Balls with chocolate candy melts and coconut, and the Strawberry Cake Balls with a melted white chocolate candy bar and pink candy heart sprinkles (my faves!). I placed some on sticks, creating a gourmet sucker look and the rest I left on decorative trays for easy, sweet munching!
There are several options on how you can create your cake pops / balls, but I have yet to find one I didn’t enjoy! Take a look below for some delicious inspiration and easy to make recipes (found below images) and start poppin’ your way to party goodness!
Choloate and Turquoise Dream!
Pretty in Pink!
Wrapped with Love!
Designed by Darlings!
Lined with Perfection!
Sweetly say “I do!”
Example Recipe Guide for Reference:
- 1 Box of Cake Mix (Choose your favorite the flavor)
- 1 16 ounce Container of Pre-Made Frosting (Again, choose the flavor!)
- 1 3 ounce Bar of Flavored Confectionery or Candy Melts (Choose your taste yet again! Mixing and Matching is half the fun!)
1. Prepare the cake mix according to package details, using any of the recommended pans for backing. Once cake is baked fully, simply crumble the cake while still warm (but after 15 minutes of cooling) into a large mixing bowl, and stir in the frosting until well blended.
2. Melt your flavored confectionery or candy melt coating in a glass bowl in the microwave or a metal pot over a pan of simmering water on the stove-top, stirring occasionally until at a smooth consistency.
3. Use a melon baller or scoop (or even just your hands!) to form small balls (use Dunkin’ Donut holes as reference) of your cake mixture. Then, either dip the balls into the melted pan of goodness using a toothpick or simply drizzle it on top using a spoon to coat each one accordingly. Place on waxed paper to set.
4. Decorate accordinly. Place on sucker sticks if desired. Refrigerate once fully cooled.
5. & ENJOY!!