February 24, 2011
It’s all fun and games, until someone lays down in the window treatments’ aisle of Bed, Bath & Beyond…
Registering for our wedding day seemed like a dream… or so every other bridal beauty led me to believe. All my friends – both real life and social networking based – would gush about the excitement of picking out their China patterns or selecting his and hers salt ‘n’ pepper shakers. For them, it was a wonderful adventure and really made each couple believe in the thrill of making a home together. It seemed too good to be true!
And alas, as the Mister and I prepared to make the leap into Scan City for our bridal registry, my “too good” visions were sadly realized. The hopes and dreams of this being a magical event filled with rainbows and unicorns came to a screeching halt as I entered Bed, Bath & Beyond and overwhelming panic sunk in. Non-ladylike sweating ensued as my heart raced up and down the aisles wondering…
Which one of these table settings is the ideal choice for us? Are we more of a stark white or creamy eggshell couple? Which slow roaster best encompasses all that is Dietz (our last name)? Is this the right knife collection to cut all our newlywed feasts? Does this blender blend with our kitchen personalities? Do we need a juice extractor? What is a juice extractor? Do horses have socks? Is anyone listening to me?!!
All chances of future fun turned into a sense of overwhelming confusion, and while I’m hesitant to say what happened next, it is my firm belief that we all will be better people for knowing the truth – haha… kind of :)
I became a woman possessed. Frozen by indecisive nerves. More choices didn’t mean more opportunities; it meant more possible regrets, and after 4 hours (yes, FOUR hours!) of over dramatic theatrics, I took my dumpiness to a whole new level and sat my big asteroid down… right smack dab in the middle of Croscill and Waterford window treatments. Awesome.
“How old am I?” you may ask. Well, at the time, I was 26… yep… (shakes head in shame and disgust)… just embarrassing. I let the fear of picking the wrong stuff ultimately prevent me from picking any stuff at all, essentially sucking all the fun out of what should have been. I was a complete and total bridal registry fail. And before all you men out there get super jealous that this catch has already been snagged, I’m simply letting all your future Mrs. hear of my tragic tale in hopes to prevent them from making my same mistakes!
- Start by printing out check and priority lists and customize them accordingly.
- Browse online collections and narrow down favorites.
- Look into stores’ return and exchange policies and pick one that best suits your needs.
- Talk with friends and family who’ve had previous and personal experiences.
- Remember, this is the beginning, not the end!
- Don’t get hung up on having all PC, fundamental items.
- Pick out fun, non-essential stuff too!
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best :)
- Whatever you do, DO NOT GET OVERWHELMED!
- Keep the fun involved by staying calm.
- And even if you start to panic a little and end up with 100 things you don’t want, just be sure to register with a store who has an ahhh to the mazing return policy, and you’ll be golden!
Of course, one good thing did come out of my unbelievably childish behavior, it made me realize – now more than ever – that Tan Man was the one for me. He stayed, which in and of itself is nothing short of heroic, but he also discreetly went to the front, bought me some super soft slippers and after giving them to me said, “Here, Stinkerbelle (his pet name for me – hehe!), now you have something to comfort you; so, we can finish this already.” Sigh, love him :)
Filed under: Wedding Planning 101